Spring is a great time to detox and cleanse the body
Spring is a great time to cleanse the body with the change of season you will benefit from a diet with more live vibrant foods. Before you download our 7-day detox eating plan I have put together some valuable information that will assist you in getting the best out of the 7 days, here’s a summary of the topics covered in this blog:
1. 20 Benefits of a detoxification
2. Why support the body’s detoxification process
3. How does the body remove toxins
4. How to support a successful detox
20 benefits of detoxification
Studies show detoxification programs have positive results, see scientific research, on our wellbeing and can improve a range of conditions and factors that can contribute to good health:
- Weight loss
- Reduction in waist circumference
- Reduces the risk of insulin resistance
- Improved blood glucose levels
- Reduction in triglyceride levels
- Reduces cholesterol levels
- Reduces blood pressure
- Improves circulation
- Improves metabolism
- Support healthier digestion
- Less bloating
- Reduces constipation
- Improved energy
- Better memory
- Fewer headaches
- Reduces cravings
- Fewer mood fluctuations
- Clearer skin
- Reduces inflammation
- Supports healthy liver function
Why support the body’s detoxification process
Detoxification is a natural eliminatory process happening in our body right now. Toxins are being eliminated as you read this article. Over 30 trillion cells take in oxygen, food and nutrients to perform a vast array of metabolic functions and as a result, produce wastes. However, this metabolic waste is not the only toxin we need to eliminate, other sources of toxins are found in food, airborne particles and through the skin. You can support the process, by reducing the amount of exposure to toxins and in so doing, improve your overall health.
How does the body eliminate toxins?
The body has organs that function as detoxification pathways to the remove and eliminate toxins before they become a problem. If the toxic load becomes high symptoms may present like fatigue, poor memory, insomnia, skin conditions like eczema and general ill-health. The symptoms can improve by supporting these organs that play a primary role in eliminating toxins:
- Liver: This is the primary organ that eliminates toxins; for example, alcohol, caffeine, nicotine, food additives, colouring, preservatives, trans fatty acids, chemicals, heavy metals. The liver has two pathways of detoxification:
- Phase 1 which removes toxins from the circulation
- Phase 2 which packages up the toxin ready for elimination.
- Kidneys: removes water-soluble toxins such as ammonia, urea, uric acid, creatinine, and toxins prepared for elimination by the liver in phase 2. see scientific research
- Lungs: expel carbon dioxide, pollutants, dust, pollens, respiratory toxins, including phlegm.
- Skin: protects us in two ways, firstly from toxins and helps to eliminate them.
- Through sweat glands.
- Natural exfoliation.
How to support a successful detox
- Eat more fresh vegetables, mostly green, red and orange vegetables these contain antioxidants that help to neutralise free radicals.
- Cut out alcohol and free the liver up to break down other toxins, you will feel much better for it.
- Reduce caffeine intake replace with herbal teas like chamomile, peppermint, lemongrass, detox teas are a great way to enhance the elimination process.
- Eliminate processed foods, and make healthy meals at home, get the family involved make it fun.
- Eliminate sugar and artificial sweeteners
- Eliminate red meat and replace with chicken, fish, and legumes such as lentils, chickpeas, soybeans
- Reduce your chemical exposure:
- Eat organic fruit and vegetables.
- Wear PPE at work if you work with strong-smelling chemicals.
- Open your house up to let the fresh air.
- Wear less perfume.
- Skin brush once per day for 4 minutes before shower. Dry skin brushing is terrific for removing old dry winter skin. It helps by increasing blood flow and promoting lymph drainage. Don’t rub too hard, be gentle.
- Drink 2-3 litres spring or filtered water per day.
- Breathing exercise 10 minutes morning and night.
- Sit in a chair with your hands on your belly and close your eyes.
- Breath in, make sure your hands move outwards, and then slowly release the breath out.
- Repeat this ten times
- Sleep 8 hours per night proper sleep is part of the healing process and helps to clear out toxins.
- Take supplements to support phase 2 detoxification, typically phase 1 is fast and phase 2 slow. This can cause a backup of toxins to accumulate in the liver. Phase 2 supplements promote the removal of the toxins. It is important to consult with us before taking any liver supplement. These are some of the key nutrients that support the liver elimination: N-acetyl cysteine (NAC), choline bitartrate, methionine, inositol, glutamine, taurine, St. Mary’s thistle, glycine and selenium.
I have prepared a 7-day detox eating plan that you can enjoy the benefits of health start to spring. If you would like to discuss your current health before doing this, please give us a call.
How to use this information: The suggestions here are general in nature and do not take into account your specific needs. Before you make changes to your routine or embark on any herbs or nutritional supplements, it is wise to check with your healthcare professional. As a community service, I am making myself available to do my best to provide some advice, every Monday from 9:00 am to 9:30 am (Australian eastern standard time). Ring if there are any aspects of your diet or supplements that you would like to discuss or clarify. Prefer to arrange you FREE No-Obligation meeting online click here to book
In health and wisdom
Phone: +61 409 278 320
Clinical Naturopathic Practitioner
Founder of “Groves Naturopathics” and “The Groves Lifestyle Diet”
Adv. Dip. H. Sc. Nat, Dip. H. Sc. H.M., Dip. H. Sc. Nut.
Advance Diploma of Naturopathy, Diploma of Nutrition, Diploma of Herbal Medicine.
Special interests in: Weight loss, digestive issues, anxiety and mood disorders, immune support.